This ad is expired.
Academic Advisor (Online/Remote)
Requisition Number: ACADE005380
Location: Online / RemoteOnline / Remote
Academic Advisor - Online/Remote
American Public University System
The Academic Advising Department serves to guide, encourage, and inform students of recommended academic options to progress through their academic programs at APUS. Academic Advisors interact with students through a variety of remote means - email, phone, chat, and others.
Professional Academic Advisors, who form the majority of the APUS Academic Advising Department, are critical-thinking student services professionals who use exceptional communication and analytical skills to guide, influence and encourage students through their academic journeys at APUS. Advisors are quick-thinking multitaskers who must excel in a variety of roles on a daily basis - analyst, cheerleader, diplomat, clerical specialist, subject matter expert, and above all, effective communicator. The role requires a daily willingness to review students' individual situations to determine optimal solutions and to adjudicate student's requests to waive policy. This requires the advisor to have the ability to counsel students against a particular course of action, even if doing so will not always be well received by the student.
Advisors participate within the University and across industry in multiple ways (e.g., Committees, technical task forces, authors and presenters for the National Academic Advising Association [NACADA]). APUS encourages continuing professional development and education for all advising staff.
Shift: Monday - Friday 9:30am - 6pm EST
- Friendly and helpful student communication and outreach
- Effectively build relationships with prospective, current, and/or returning students by representing the university through email, chat, phone, representative landing pages, live webinars, training videos, recruitment/welcome videos, social media, and/or other means of communication.
- Initiate and respond to student communications concerning academic advising, academic programs, APUS policies, campus and form navigation, and other student questions/concerns.
- Communicate with students remotely, primarily via phone, chat, and email, at any point during their enrollment cycle at APUS.
- Conduct student outreach aimed at providing friendly and helpful advice/directive on next steps.
- Clearly document all student interactions.
- Warm, high quality, and friendly communication, removes obstacles, and work with other departments on the student's behalf.
- Timely and accurate processing of degree changes and program adds
- Review student degree plan change requests to assess credit impact, time to completion, student planning, and other relevant factors to determine and advise a recommended path in each case.
- Exceptional academic advising
- Utilize different academic advising strategies as appropriate, to include inquisitive, appreciative, development, and prescriptive advising.
- Keep supervisor and peers abreast of notable trends in student behavior, in order to assess and design targeted outreach initiatives or changes to current processes as needed.
- Maintain knowledge of and provide advising for distinct populations or programs.
- Encourage, motivate, and guide students towards the successful completion of their program or academic goals.
- Meet department expectations and service level agreements around delivering adequate and timely service to students
- Continuously reviews processes and policies and recommends improvements or changes when necessary.
- Professional development, training, and engagement
- Continuously engage in professional development activities as needed.
- Participation in department committees, task forces, university organizations, or industry organizations (NACADA).
- Interact with other University departments on behalf of students.
- Meet department level expectations as outlined in the Academic Advisor Expectations documents
- Other duties as assigned.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Effective interpersonal skills - influencing, persuasion, elicitation, and listening
- Understanding of student development theory
- Excellent student and customer service skills
- Ability to effectively advise in ambiguous and unstructured scenarios
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple tasks under tight deadlines with minimal supervision
- Rational and objective decision making
- Ability to navigate multiple systems and adjust quickly to ongoing technology changes
- Optimism and positivity
- Critical Thinking
- Problem Solving
- Ability to adjust quickly to changes
- Candidates must hold a conferred Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution (any major) and one year of professional office experience, preferably in a collegiate or academic advising setting. Candidates must also demonstrate clear and effective oral and written communication skills, the ability to multitask, and effective service orientation.
- Competitive candidates will typically have impeccable representational skills, knowledge of undergraduate and graduate student development theory, and knowledge of theory and best practices in academic advising.
- Demonstrated experience in influencing, informing, and persuading students on complex academic matters are plusses.
- Also desirable is prior experience in working with students from a wide variety of cultural, socioeconomic, and academic backgrounds.
- Experience in academic advising and graduate level coursework are strongly preferred. A strong service oriented and student support mindset is required.
Candidates must hold a conferred Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution (any major) and one year of professional office experience, preferably in a collegiate or academic advising setting. Candidates must also demonstrate clear and effective oral and written communication skills, the ability to multitask, and effective service orientation.
Competitive candidates will typically have impeccable representational skills, knowledge of undergraduate and graduate student development theory, and knowledge of theory and best practices in academic advising. Demonstrated experience in influencing, informing, and persuading students on complex academic matters are plusses. Also desirable is prior experience in working with students from a wide variety of cultural, socioeconomic, and academic backgrounds. Experience in academic advising and graduate level coursework are strongly preferred. A strong service oriented and student support mindset is required.
American Public University System (APUS) is an Online University based in Charles Town, WV. Our company has over 100,000 students. Our emphasis is educating our nation's military and public services communities with quality and affordable education. APUS provides partnership and commitment in helping students realize the dream of a higher education and the opportunities that brings.
It is the policy of American Public University System (APUS) to afford equal opportunity to all qualified persons. We treat all qualified individuals equally as to their recruitment, hiring, assignments, advancements, compensation, and all other terms and conditions of employment. American Public University System (APUS) does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, or physical, mental, or sensory disability, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Colorado, California, Washington and NYC Pay Transparency Statement
If you are a resident of Colorado, California, Washington or New York City and this role is available remotely, you may be eligible to receive additional information about the compensation and benefits for this role, which we will provide upon request. Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
To apply, visit https://recruiting.ultipro.com/AME1070/JobBoard/711bd40f-864c-42db-8c62-3c62f2edc13f/OpportunityDetail?opportunityId=3d9e208a-225a-4a67-83b7-e8b1345d3fa5
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency